Babybel cheese is a beloved snack worldwide for its creamy texture and tangy flavor. While many people enjoy this cheese on its own, there are plenty of creative ways to incorporate it into your meals. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the different types and ways to eat Babybel cheese, the best ways to store it, and some delicious recipe ideas that will have you falling in love with this cheese all over again.
What is Babybel Cheese?
Babybel cheese is a brand of semi-soft cheese that originated in France in the 19th century. It is made from cow’s milk and has a mild flavor with a slightly tangy finish. The cheese is formed into small, round shapes and coated in red wax, making it easy to transport and store. Babybel cheese is a popular snack food worldwide and can be found in many grocery stores.
Types of Babybel Cheese
Babybel cheese comes in a variety of flavors, including:
- White Cheddar
- Sharp Original
- Black Pepper
Each type of Babybel cheese has a unique flavor profile, allowing you to switch things up and try something new.
One serving of Babybel cheese (21g) contains:
- Calories: 70
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Sodium: 160mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 0g
- Protein: 5g
Babybel cheese is a good source of calcium and protein, making it a great snack option for health-conscious people.
How to Eat Babybel Cheese on its Own?
One of the best things about Babybel cheese is that it is a delicious snack all on its own. To eat Babybel cheese, simply remove the red wax coating and enjoy! The cheese is perfect for on-the-go snacking and is a great option for packing in your lunch.
Pairing Babybel Cheese with Other Foods
Babybel cheese is versatile and pairs well with a variety of other foods. Here are some delicious pairing options:
- Crackers or bread
- Apples or pears
- Grapes or berries
- Salami or prosciutto
- Olives or pickles
- Nuts or seeds
Cooking with Babybel Cheese
Babybel cheese can also be used in cooking to add a creamy, cheesy flavor. Here are some tips for cooking with Babybel cheese:
- Utilize it as a pizza or flatbread topping.
- Melt it into scrambled eggs or omelets
- Add it to macaroni and cheese
- Stuff it inside chicken or pork chops
Checkout You May Also Interested:
- How to Eat Bao | 5 Easy Steps
- How to Eat Biscotti | 4 Easy Steps
- How to Eat Chicken Salad | 7 Easy Steps
- How to Eat Dumplings | Easy Guide
How to Eat Babybel Cheese
Looking for some delicious recipe ideas that feature Babybel cheese? Here are a few to begin with:
Babybel Cheese and Tomato Skewers
- Babybel cheese
- Cherry tomatoes
- Cut the Babybel cheese into bite-sized pieces.
- Skewer a cherry tomato and a piece of Babybel cheese onto each skewer.
- Continue repeating the process until all the ingredients have been utilized.
- Serve as a tasty appetizer or snack.
Babybel Cheese and Apple Quesadillas
- Babybel cheese
- Flour tortillas
- Sliced apples
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each tortilla.
- Put a tortilla in the skillet with the buttered side facing down.
- Layer sliced apples and Babybel cheese on top of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Top with another tortilla, butter side up.
- Cook until the tortilla is golden brown, flipping once.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
Babybel Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Chicken
- Babybel cheese
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut a pocket into each chicken breast.
- Stuff each chicken breast with Babybel cheese and spinach.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Warm up the olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Sear each chicken breast on both sides until browned.
- Move the chicken breasts to a baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve and enjoy.
Tips to Eat Babybel Cheese
Here are some tips for eating Babybel cheese:
- Remove the wax coating: As mentioned earlier, it is not edible, so remove it before eating the cheese. You can either peel the wax off or cut it away.
- Serve at room temperature: Babybel cheese tastes best when it’s at room temperature. Take it out of the fridge and let it sit for about 30 minutes before eating.
- Pair with crackers or bread: Babybel cheese goes well with crackers or bread. You can add some fruit or nuts to create a nutritious snack.
- Try different flavors: Babybel cheese comes in different flavors, such as original, white cheddar, and Gouda. Experiment with various flavors until you discover your preferred one.
- Use as a snack or in recipes: Babybel cheese is a great snack, but it can also be used in recipes like grilled cheese sandwiches, salads, and pasta dishes.
- Experiment with different textures: If you enjoy the creamy texture of Babybel cheese, try melting it over a dish or using it in a dip.
What to Serve with Babybel Cheese?
There are several things you can serve with Babybel cheese to create a delicious and balanced snack or meal:
- Crackers or bread: Babybel cheese pairs well with crackers or bread. You can choose any crackers or bread you like, such as wheat crackers, baguette slices, or whole-grain bread.
- Fruit: You can serve Babybel cheese with fresh fruit, such as apples, grapes, or berries. The sweetness of the fruit can balance out the tanginess of the cheese.
- Nuts: Nuts like almonds or walnuts can add a crunchy texture to your Babybel cheese snack. They also offer a substantial amount of protein and beneficial fats.
- Charcuterie: If you’re serving Babybel cheese as part of a charcuterie board, you can pair it with other types of cheese, cured meats, olives, and pickles.
- Vegetables: You can serve Babybel cheese with raw vegetables, such as carrots, celery, or cherry tomatoes. The crunchiness of the vegetables can complement the creaminess of the cheese.
- Sandwiches: Babybel cheese can be used as a filling in sandwiches, along with other ingredients such as lettuce, tomato, ham, or turkey.
Can You Eat The Red Wax On Babybel Cheese?
No, you cannot eat the red wax on Babybel cheese. The wax is not edible and is only meant to protect the cheese. You should always remove the wax before consuming the cheese. Simply peel the wax off or cut it away before eating the cheese.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why Are Babybels Wrapped In Wax?
There are several reasons why Babybel cheese is coated in wax. The wax helps to protect the cheese from drying out and becoming contaminated with bacteria or other microorganisms. It also helps to maintain the cheese’s shape and prevent it from sticking to other surfaces.
The wax coating also serves as a convenient and hygienic way to handle and transport the cheese, as it can easily be peeled off before consumption. Additionally, the wax coating adds a distinctive appearance and texture to the cheese, which makes it easily recognizable and appealing to consumers.
Overall, the wax coating serves practical and aesthetic purposes for Babybel cheese.
Is Babybel cheese good to eat?
Yes, Babybel cheese is a tasty and nutritious cheese many people worldwide enjoy. It has a creamy and slightly tangy flavor and a soft texture that is easy to eat. Babybel cheese is also a good source of protein and calcium, important nutrients for maintaining strong bones and muscles.
It is a convenient and portable snack that can be enjoyed independently or paired with other foods like crackers, bread, fruit, and nuts. Babybel cheese is a delicious and healthy option for anyone who enjoys cheese.
Can you melt Babybel cheese?
Yes, you can melt Babybel cheese, but it may not melt as easily or smoothly as other types of cheese due to its wax coating. It is best to remove the wax before melting the cheese.
You can grate or cut the cheese into small pieces to help it melt more evenly. Babybel cheese is often used in grilled sandwiches, quesadillas, and pizzas. It can also be melted and used as a dip for crackers or vegetables.
Is Babybel cheese 100% cheese?
Yes, Babybel cheese is made from 100% cheese. It is a semi-soft cheese made from cow’s milk with a distinctive wax coating. The cheese is produced using a combination of traditional and modern cheese-making techniques, including pasteurization, curdling, and aging.
Babybel cheese contains no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives and is considered natural and wholesome. However, it is important to note that Babybel cheese may contain trace amounts of lactose, a sugar in milk.
What Can You Do With The Babybel Wax?
The Babybel wax should not be eaten but can be repurposed for various household uses, such as making DIY candles, fire starters, or crafts. You can also recycle the wax by sending it to a specialized recycling program or using it for composting.
Do babybel need to be refrigerated?
Yes, Babybel cheese needs to be refrigerated. It is a perishable dairy product that can spoil if left at room temperature for too long. It is best to store Babybel cheese in the refrigerator at a temperature of 40°F (4°C) or below.
The wax coating on the cheese helps to protect it from drying out, but it is still important to keep the cheese properly refrigerated to maintain its quality and safety.
Do you eat the red on Babybel cheese?
It is not recommended to consume the red wax coating on Babybel cheese. The wax is not edible and is only meant to protect the cheese. You should always remove the wax before consuming the cheese.
What flavor cheese is Babybel?
Babybel cheese has a mild and creamy flavor with a slightly tangy taste. It is a semi-soft cheese made from pasteurized cow’s milk and has a smooth texture.
The cheese has a distinctively mild taste, which makes it a popular choice for both adults and children. It is versatile and can be eaten independently as a snack or used in various recipes, such as grilled cheese sandwiches, quesadillas, and pizzas.
How long does Babybel last in the fridge?
Babybel cheese can last for several weeks when properly stored in the refrigerator. It is recommended to consume the cheese within 2-3 weeks of opening the package for the best quality and taste.
Unopened Babybel cheese can last several months in the refrigerator if stored in a cool and dry place. The wax coating on the cheese helps to protect it from contamination and drying out, which can extend its shelf life.
However, it is important to always check the expiration date and quality of the cheese before consuming it and to discard any cheese that appears moldy or spoiled.
Can you use Babybel on pizza?
Yes, Babybel cheese can be used on pizza as a delicious and convenient topping. Babybel cheese has a mild and creamy flavor that complements a variety of pizza toppings, such as tomato sauce, vegetables, and meats. To use Babybel cheese on pizza, you can grate it or cut it into small pieces and sprinkle it over the pizza before baking. The cheese will melt and blend with the other toppings to create a tasty and satisfying pizza.
In conclusion, Babybel cheese is a versatile and convenient snack that can be enjoyed in many ways. To eat Babybel cheese, start by peeling off the wax coating, then bite into it or cut it into smaller pieces.
It can be paired with crackers and fruits or eaten as a quick and satisfying snack. Experiment with different flavors and combinations to find your favorite way to enjoy this delicious cheese.